Hello October. Now begins the season of couch potato nights, dark sleepy mornings, candy, food, holidays, shopping, gatherings, and more food. Did I mention FOOD? To so many people this time of year is synonymous with comfort, hoodies, and crock pots full of home-cooked meals. Well, I'm here to tell you that its all well and good but don't lose sight of your goals. So, what do you do when you don't want to pack on the weight, don't want to go backwards in your progress but have ZERO motivation to get off of the coach? I'm going to share with you 7 ways to get your buns moving and I'm not talking the ones you put on the Thanksgiving dinner table.
1. Baby Steps. Start out small. If you have lost your motivation to work out then chances are its not going to come flooding back all at once. You need to build it back. So start by parking far back in the parking lot. If anything that crisp, cold, air will fill your lungs, invigorate you, and make you high tail it into the store. Increased heart rate. You're welcome. Seriously though, don't ask your kids, roommate or spouse to hand you the remote- get up and get it yourself. Take the dog for a walk instead of letting him do his business on the front lawn or just letting him out in the backyard. Do a couple laps in the parking lot on your lunch breaks. Just get moving again.
2. Read about it. Find a book, magazine, blog, article- whatever, but read about fitness, running, lifting- hell even look at a fitness apparel catalog. If you are seeing it, you are reading it and if you are reading it you will be thinking about it. It can be a silent push that you need to get back on your game.
3. Share your struggle. Tell someone that you are in a slump. Preferably someone fitness minded because they will get it. If you tell the postman or the cashier at the grocery store, chances are they are going to think you are a whacko. Telling someone fitness minded; they know the struggle because they have undoubtedly been there before. Motivation ebbs and flows for everyone. EVERYONE. Even if that person is a Facebook acquaintance that you see is consistently doing fitness related activities. Break the ice. Reach out, comment on a post. Tell them you are struggling, see if they want to hold you accountable. Its been my experience that people that are fitness minded LOVE when they meet other fitness minded people. We love to talk about what we are doing, what our goals are, how far we have come, the whole 9 yards. That might be just enough to inspire you to get off of the couch.
4. Know your strengths. Are you a morning person? Do you accomplish more in the evenings after work? Is your day so jam packed that you literally only have your lunch break? You know you. So if you read this blog post and decide, "I'm going to wake up tomorrow at 5 am and workout! Yea!" You better be someone that regularly sees 5 am on the clock. I will tell you right now. You will never see me up at 5 am to workout. Why? I'm a night person. I do better when my body is loose-y goose-y from the day and I can mentally function. Plus, exercising a few hours before bedtime does not keep me awake. For me, it does the opposite; gets all the jitters out and I have a more restful sleep. So, know who you are and align your goals accordingly. You would do yourself a disservice if you set yourself up for failure from the jump.
6. Treat yo' self to some shiny. Nothing. I mean nothing gets me more motivated to workout than new workout clothes. Okay, let's be honest, new workout clothes, new sneakers, gym bags. It doesn't take much and yes I'm a bit of a shopper- hey back off! I'm not on trial here. Really though, get yourself something new. Practical/impractical or new/new to you. Wanting to go out and use whatever that "new thing" is might be the push you need to excite you to get out there.
So I really like new fitness apparel. Nothing motivates me more than getting to wear a new, funny, ironic, or branded fitness tank. As an Independent Team Beachbody Coach its helped with my brand recognition and to draw attention to my posts. As a Fitness Instructor its helped to draw attention to my classes through word of mouth. Plus, I like them a whole bunch. Pictured below, are 2 tanks I got from www.fitumi.com. The red one is a simple one that I had custom made and the blue one is one of the their designs. I LOVE this company. I have ordered from them multiple times. I have 2 stock shirts from them and 2 custom shirts. Every time I order it is uncomplicated, they are made right away, and shipped right out. I get them in a few days and they are always flawless. They use quality shirts and they are pretty true to size. Plus, after multiple washes the screen-printing is still holding strong. They are on Etsy too, which is where I do all of my ordering from them. Did I mention all of their designs on their site are at an awesome price point of $18? So this morning when I decided to feature their apparel on my blog I Googled what "fitumi" means. Get this, "fake it till you make it." Which basically couldn't be anymore perfect in going with the theme of this whole post.
7. Get Inspired. Google people that have achieved greatness in the workout/activity you like to do. Do you love Pilates? Google "Plyoga" the things creator Stephanie Lauren can do with her body are Ah-MA-Zing. (In Jimmy Fallon, white suburban girl voice). Its totally normal to be inspired by the accomplishments of others. Its also totally to normal to be a little intimidated but don't psych yourself out for no reason. Get out there and go do something great. Even if your version of great is running around the block without getting winded or getting a workout in 3 out of the 7 days next week. Just go do it.
Okay, so there ya have it. 7 Ways to get out of that Snuggie and moving. xoxo- court
WIN A FITUMI FITNESS TANK Compliments of The Gym Struggle.
GIVEAWAY INSTRUCTIONS: 1. Read the blog post. 2. Comment below in the comments section. 3. Share this blog post on Facebook or Twitter. 4. Comment on my Facebook post or Tweet "done". So I know where you read it and so I know that you did it. Drawing will be on Friday 10/9.
10/1/2015 12:04:39 pm
10/1/2015 01:42:30 pm
10/1/2015 01:02:38 pm
True if you look good you feel good and if you feel good you just work out harder!
10/1/2015 01:43:12 pm
Exactly! Thanks for taking the time to read!
10/1/2015 01:52:31 pm
Fake it until you make it is a great slogan. So many of us have tried and don't succeed. These programs are wonderful! I am so happy to have met you and started this journey to my new life style 😃 I haven't bought any new gym clothes because I'm saving it for the new wardrobe that I am needing! Woo hoo
10/1/2015 01:56:01 pm
Thank you! In the last 2 months you have taught me a lot about myself as well! I admire your determination and your "no matter what" attitude. It could teach many people a thing or 2 about sticking to goals. Thank for taking the time to read this!
10/3/2015 08:51:32 pm
I love #3. Sharing your struggle helps you find others in the same boat as you and helps hold you accountable!
10/6/2015 04:58:41 pm
Agree! I wouldn't be where I am if I didn't have a few favorites that hold me accountable and I them!
10/5/2015 07:43:47 pm
i'm slipping again. But, I haven't gained any weight back. #iHave2manyExcuses #motivationNeeded
10/6/2015 04:57:56 pm
It happens to the best of us this time of year. The weather is colder and it gets dark sooner. You just gotta bust through it. Start bundling up and walking!
10/9/2015 01:34:01 pm
Great post! Totally agree about the new work out gear. That is always a motivator for me!
Leave a Reply.
Just your average 30- something who finally found the motivation to make a fit and healthy lifestyle change. Now I'm trying to motivate others to do the same!