Quinoa/Rice Taco Bake
1 cup uncooked brown rice or quinoa
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 cup red/green/yellow pepper
1 cup onions with jalapenos
2 cups natural tomato sauce
1 cup shredded cheddar
Juice of 1 lime
3 cloves Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Chili Powder
2 Tsp Cumin
1 Tsp Onion Powder
1/3 cup Chopped Cilantro
Hot Sauce to taste (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9X13 baking dish with cooking spray & set aside.
- Cook brown rice or quinoa according to directions.
- Spray frying pan with non-stick cooking spray. Add onion, garlic & jalapeno & sauté over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the ground turkey, breaking it up as it browns. Cook for about 5 minutes & add the peppers. Cook for 3-4 minutes more, or until meat if no longer pink.
- Add the juice of 1 lime, cumin, chili powder & cilantro. Stir to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Remove from heat & add the rice/quinoa to the meat & veggie mixture. Pour in the tomato sauce & hot sauce if using & stir. Add 1 blue container of shredded Cheddar Cheese.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 3 (blue) containers of Cheddar. Cover with foil & bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil & bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted & edges are bubbling. Remove from oven & let cool for 10 minutes.
Each serving = 1 yellow, 1/2 green, 1/2 purple, 1 blue, 1 red