Hello again! Tasty Tuesday! This week during meal prep I made this yummy and super easy Twice Baked Cauliflower Casserole that I found on Keto Karma. If you read my last post, I decided I needed to kick things up a notch because I was getting really bored with my usual meal prep. In fear of succumbing to the boredom and eating off track, I thought I should start putting in a little more work when it came to my meal prep.
3. Cook cauliflower in a large pot of boiling salted water until cauliflower is tender. (15-20mins)
4. Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
5. In a large mixing bowl add cream cheese, sour cream, green onions, parmesan cheese and 4 pieces of chopped fully cooked bacon. (Add optional heavy whipping cream for a creamier consistency)
6. Drain cauliflower well, then pour over top of the ingredients in large mixing bowl.
7. The recipe calls for you to mash with potato masher/mixing whisk, until the consistency is to your liking. I wanted mine to be creamy and more of a uniform consistency so I put mine in the food processor.
8. Spread evenly in a medium-sized (8x8) casserole dish.
9. Top with cheddar cheese and two pieces of chopped bacon.
10. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350F/180C or until the cheese is melted. Garnish with chopped green onion before serving.
The first night of my meal prep I paired my casserole with some marinated broiled chicken and green beans. Tonight I will pair it with a Cheeseburger Casserole. Stay tuned for that! KCKO!
The nutrition information for the Twice Baked Cauliflower Casserole: Calories: 230 Fat: 20g Protein: 9g Carbs: 6g Net Carbs: 4g Yields: 9 servings
At the beginning of the year I hopped back on the keto wagon after being off of it for many months. I was feeling heavy, lethargic, depressed, and in a fog. I knew that it was time to clean it up and dial in my nutrition.
Getting back on track was surprisingly easy. I lost 9 pounds in my first week; which is always very motivating. I kept my meals very simple. Very, very, simple. That allowed me to focus, kill the sugar cravings, avoid the carb flu, and get into ketosis. Well, simple can get boring very quickly. I knew I needed to find some more palatable and satiating meals if I am going to stay on track. I decided that this upcoming week I better step up my meal prep game.
I have been craving chili; nothing is better than a warm belly and it has been especially cold here lately. When you can tuck in to a comfort food you feel like you aren't restricting yourself.
I used the Keto Chili recipe from the Simply Keto Cookbook* by Suzanne Ryan of Keto Karma.**
1 In a large pot, brown the ground beef and sausage, using a wooden spoon to break up the clumps. Drain the meat, reserving half of the drippings.
2 Transfer the drained meat to a slow cooker. Add the reserved drippings, bell pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes with juices, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and water and mix well.
3 Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 5 hours, until the veggies are soft.
4 Serve topped with shredded cheese, green onions, sour cream, and/or sliced jalapeños, if desired.
Note: When buying tomato paste, check the labels and find the lowest-carb option available. The macros for this recipe may vary slightly depending on the brand of tomato paste you use.
Per Serving: CALORIES: 387 | FAT: 24.6 g | PROTEIN: 33.5 g | TOTAL CARBS: 11.4 g | NET CARBS: 7.9 g
Instead of cooking this in the crock pot I simmered it in a pot on the stove. I upped the water to 1 cup because I like my chili to be a bit looser. I thought this a yummy, hearty, meal and I felt full and sated.
If you end up making this, let me know if you liked it! Thanks for reading!
*Simply Keto Cookbook:
Just your average 30- something who finally found the motivation to make a fit and healthy lifestyle change. Now I'm trying to motivate others to do the same!